Saturday, January 31, 2009

Not Proud of these

I have never been involved directly with the Sugar Cane Industry especially since I am from Orange Walk Town proper. But I would be silly to deny that all Orange Walkeños have a direct stake in the industry. I think I know almost all persons who work at the sugar factory or many...feels like all. When it comes of the actual cañeros, I know some who have the name since they somehow deliver cane without ever owning a cane truck or much less visiting a canefield but do not know any "real" cañeros.

I can remember the cane trucks traveling up to the sugar factory as long as I have had life and nothing much has changed. Now, I love technology, and thus, have wondered how time did not affect the look of the cane trucks. They seem to have been frozen in time.

The cañeros refusal to respect the readings of something that is called a "core sampler" reminds me of some people at the jobplace that thought that the computer and MSExcel and MSword etc. was a waste a time.

I am not proud of the fact that BSI as an industry did ensure that the cañeros kept updated with technology.

I am not proud of the fact that some cañeros rather deliver low quality cane and expect the industry to turn a blind eye to it and pay. Imagine you own a vegetable stand at the market. Would you pay the same price for low quality veggies as for better quality ones?

I am not proud of the fact that the two sides rather play the blame game than fixing things for good.

I have always thought that the 'real' cañeros deserved a larger slice of the sugar industry's earnings. But I have also felt that they do not do enough to show that they deserve. Like everyone else they need to keep up with the times. Some have mired themselves in debt and have little choice.

My opinion on this is purely from the outside looking in. So this is how it all reaches me and I could be totally wrong.

What I am sure of is that the Belizean government at the highest levels should have solved this from the onset. Maybe, they too are busy blaming someone for something.

Hey let's concentrate on solutions. This I would be proud of...anyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's be full of respect for one another for the sake of Orange Walk!