Thursday, March 5, 2009

Much ado about nothing

The body politic of Orange Walk Town has spoken and there is a myriad of angles as to why the results are what they are. These angles may be as numerous as there are electors. I will not even attempt to hint that I have the best angle. I do not.

What I can say is that our Orange Walkeño voters spoke as opposed to the silent majority in the rest of the nation. Our democracy is built to give those who wish to remain silent to do so innocuously. Again, why did they stay home will be an endless debate. All I can say is this; if you do not like a restaurant then you do not go and buy food from it.

IMHO the PUP candidates had too much of rookie in them. At the polls, people will many a times go with name recognition and how long the name has been under the spotlight.

I know, maybe, all the 14 candidates from both parties in Orange Walk. Having this information in mind I had made my assertions and had gotten a general feeling. But the majority obviously could did not see what I saw.

I have never liked the ideas of split votes, not in Belize. The politics is still too petty. Mr. de la Fuente asserted that he will work with HIS new council. My take is that when a council is split then the town suffers since you have less people to serve them. When I think of the people that surround Mr. de la Fuente all I get is victimization, party politics galore and anti-PUP venom. None of these three are good for Orange Walk. It is left to be seen what responsibilities will be given to the 3 PUP councilors.

I knew too that the cane farmer issue was not going to pan out either way. The cane farmers involved are not so much from OW town. Dean Barrow was not running for councilor or mayor; he would have lost. I would not have liked the PUP winning because of that issue. I did not support the cane farmer stand anyway. I also did not support the Dean Barrow approach to quell.

All in all, the PUP is still in convalescing. It showed signs of getting up but the cancer imposed by the terrible twins is yet to be stricken totally. The People's United Party will need to go beyond remission before they can savour another win at the polls. March 4, 2009 was a step towards the total CHANGE that has been envisioned. The loss for all intents and purposes and ODDS was inevitable.

Too many people stayed away yesterday. They are like a sleeping giant that needs agitating. The PUP needs to show why they are NEW and IMPROVED. Belizeans did not see it; nor did they feel it. It is back to the drawing board to find that formula of success for the PUP and benefit for our invaluable people of the jewel.

For the new Orange Walk Town Council and Mayor this is like 2003 for the PUP. We need the best for our town. After all, there was much ado about nothing. Our democracy in Orange Walk prevailed. The majority have decided who they want to take care of their affairs.

I have always been one to go with who rules, PUP or UDP. Our leaders must be given a chance to make decisions and then elections come.

I will follow here and the electorate will also follow.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's be full of respect for one another for the sake of Orange Walk!